Monday, January 4, 2010

There's a Woman in the Grocery Store post

Stress and change seem to be big factors in the depression equasion.  Many people will experience some degree of depression after someone dies, they move to a new place, take on a new job, lose a job, and so on.

My husband was in school for more than ten years.  He had a hard time deciding on an occupation.  Oddly enough he fought against his desire to become a doctor because the task was so time consuming.  In the end, however, I adamantly told him to go ahead and do it.  I wanted him to do whatever he needed to do to be happy.

It was hard.  After I miraculously managed earning my degree I was able to teach high school for a few years, but after the birth of our second child, we decided I needed to stay at home and be a mom.  By then my mental health was already an issue we had to consider.  On top of that, if I did get a job it had to be a pretty good one to compensate for all the child care we would have to pay.  Fortunately, I was able to find work I could do out of my home.  My husband was awarded grants for his schooling, but what we had was never enough. 

Still, the one thing I did have throughout it all was the hope in knowing someday it would end.  Someday he would finish school and be a doctor.  Not all women have that specific hope.  The poem was actually for them.  I saw so many hopeless women.  But any woman - any woman has the potential for hope - to believe in herself and her future.  All I wanted was simple things.  After a very long time, miraculously I got them.  Hope is essential for anyone to survive adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment