Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More Than Just a Fish post

I was just thinking about my son, really about all three of my kids.  This poem suits them all so well.  As a parent it is always hard to cut the line and set them free.

Back in 1996 I was a high school English teacher.  Right around 150 students moved through my classroom every day.  Most of them probably had no idea how much I cared about each of them as individuals.  It was actually that throng of high school students which inspired my poem.  I had no idea how it would be so infinitely applicable to so many people in my life.

It is so easy for all of us to think we are all fish.  We must be the same.  The truth is, we don't have to force ourselves into the mold.  We can be more.  We can be our own person.  Never let someone else hold you back because of their limited expectations.  You are a child of God, a heritage which offers you infinite potential.

For today, that message is above all for my exceedingly un-fishly son.

No comments:

Post a Comment