Saturday, January 9, 2010

ONE post

There never was a doubt in my mind that my parents truly and deeply loved each other.  They were human and had their rough spots, but even during the worst of times I knew everything would be okay with them in the end.  It was one of the greatest gifts my parents, any parents, could give to their child.

Now I'm married.  I've been married for a long time, never divorced, never separated.  The relationship I have isn't the same as my parents.  Each couple has their own unique dynamic.  Oddly enough I recently realized my husband and I had both gotten so deeply into the habit of doing things to protect each other, to make life easier for the other, that we'd created a rift of sorts.  He didn't understand what was going through my head and vice versa.  It was kind of funny how it turned out to be the two of us trying to protect each other.  Is it possible to love someone too much?

Depression destroys marriages almost every day.  More than seventeen years ago I had a clinical psychologist tell me she was utterly flabbergasted that I was still married based on my extensive mental illness history.  It takes a lot out of a spouse to deal with mental illness.  The person who is depressed doesn't see things for what they are.  From both sides blame gets laid on the spouse where it doesn't belong. 

A lot of doctors who have their wives working for them as office managers end up in divorces as well.  I suppose we've got a lot working against us.

On the other hand, when we made our marriage committment and were sealed in the temple, we were sealed to be with each other for eternity.  It was a very deep, sacred vow, a promise the two of us made with God.  So when times were hard, leaving the other wasn't an option to consider.  We held on no matter what.  We're still holding.  Although he is not perfect, I married a very good man who loves me in spite of me, exactly the way I love him.

My mother died soon after I wrote this poem.  I miss her.  My dad misses her.  According to our beliefs my parents will be reunited in the next life.  Their union will last for eternity.  What a beautiful blessing that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment