Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24, 2010 Home Again!

After making a mad dash up to Utah to make emergency wedding plans I'm finally back to sunny Houston!  January in Utah is meant for insane people like those who love snowboarding or skiing to fanatical degrees.  Even then, why endure the pain unless you're able to hit the slopes every free second you have?  Then again, just driving around in that snowy mess is a nightmare.  One night it was a complete whiteout.  I couldn't see where I was going.  If I stopped, someone was likely to hit me no matter where I did stop.  It was a miracle I made it to my destinaton all in one piece. 

Maybe I shouldn't be so negative.  The snow is beautiful.  It is nice to see all the trees lined in lace like white.  If you could just stay at home and not worry about moving on with life, it's great.  You can cozy up to a fire, read a good book and appreciate the fact that you have a small haven all your own.

If only life could always be so ideallistic.  At least you don't have to worry so much about your weight in such weather.  If you're smart, you're covered in enough layers that you could be fifty pounds heavier and no one would be the wiser.  I have this fantastic "Alaska" coat (so named because it was purchased specifically for a trip to Alaska).  It is the best coat I have ever owned.  The only thing warmer for me to wear is my husband's Alaska coat which, although awkwardly extra large for me, is delightfully enveloping when I am cold.

So, once again, I am keenly thankful that I am living in Houston.  My trip to Utah did prove to be very productive.  We have a reception center along with all the associated amenities arranged.  I bought a wedding dress, bridesmaid's dresses, and flower girl dresses.  The only person dressless at this point is me.  Don't worry, I'm working on that.  We found a great place for tuxes, and a photographer.  To be honest, I wish I could rush it all the more just because these two kids are so eager to get married.  I wish the whole enterprise wasn't so expensive.  It would make things a little more fun.

This is a good lesson regarding me and stress.  A long time ago when I was in high school I would literally find myself terrified to go to certain classes.  I'd feel like I wasn't fully prepared, or like I was slower at catching on to concepts compared to everyone else.  In some situations I was certain the teacher had prejudices toward me, while in others, I felt like I couldn't disappoint the teachers.

I learned a number a clever ways to get out of class without getting in trouble.  Some teachers would write me excuses to go work on projects for them, so I could avoid other classes.  But, there is only so much dodging a person can do.  In the end, if you're going to pass a class you've got to face it, go to class, and get the work done.  In truth, no matter how painful it was to get myself to class in the first place, I learned it was always better to be in class, than not be there.  In other words, the only way out was through.

That's the way it is with this wedding thing.  I know the only way out of the stress is just getting through the stress.  If I made arrangements as quickly as possible, it would put my mind at ease.  I wouldn't worry as much.  In concept, in the end I should be able to better enjoy the wedding at the time of the wedding, rather than stress it.  Now my daughter's happy because she has the most beautiful dress of her dreams.  I was able to buy it for less than half of what I expected to pay (sometimes I am thankful for the recession). 

The reception is going to be lovely at this wonderful Victorian place - catering, cake, decorations, etc. all included.  I met the groom's family - fantastic people!  Of course, the groom is still wonderful.  I can't complain.  In spite of the fact that I'm a spaz, things will work out.  I faced the challenge and started working through it rather than avoiding it, which probably would have been my first instinct if not for my long lost high school experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment